Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pro-File: Lynn Viehl

Since turning pro in 2000, Lynn Viehl has published thirty-two novels in five genres, most recently "If Angels Burn" and "Private Demon," the first two books in her USA Today best selling Darkyn vampire novel series. She also writes romantic suspense as Gena Hale and Jessica Hall, inspirational fiction as Rebecca Kelly, and science fiction as S.L. Viehl.

Ed here: I've read several of Lynn's horror and science fiction novels in the past few months and I'll tell you, she's good; she's very very good.

Pro-File: Lynn Viehl

1 Tell us about your current novel.

My latest novel release is "Rebel Ice" (writing as S.L. Viehl.) It's the sixth book in my StarDoc SF series, which follows the adventures of Dr. Cherijo Grey Veil, a fugitive bioengineered physician searching for truth and freedom. In this book the search is actually for Cherijo, who is stranded on an ice world and becomes caught in the middle of a dangerous rebellion with galaxy-size stakes on both sides.

2. Can you give us a sense of what you're working on now?

It's always a bit of a juggling act with me. Presently I'm finishing up revisions to "Plague of Memory," StarDoc book seven; writing "Night Lost," the fourth dark fantasy novel in the Darkyn series; and in the midst of writing my first epic fantasy novel and a historical thriller, both of which are as yet untitled.

3. What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?

I have to pick just one? It would be a toss-up between loving my job every single day I go to work, and having the enormous privilege of being able to tell my stories to readers all over the world.

4. The greatest DIS-pleasure?

The knowledge that I won't live long enough to write all the stories inside my head, but I think at a certain point in the career every writer feels that way.

5. If you have one piece of advice for the publishing world, what is it?

Lighten up.

6. Are there two or three forgotten mystery writers you'd like to see in print again?

Fred Saberhagen is hardly forgotten, but when he wasn't writing SF in the early 90's he published some mystery novels featuring Dracula as the protagonist, including one where he meets Sherlock Holmes. Fred, if you're reading this, I could use twenty or thirty more of those. I think what I miss most were the great short stories Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine published when I was a kid. There was never a bad one in the bunch back then.

7. Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that moment.

Without warning me first, a friend copied one of my manuscripts and sent it to a NY editor. The editor called me to ask if I'd written a sequel, and once I had recovered from the utter shock and horror (about five seconds after I hung up the phone) I sent her the sequel. She called three days later to make an offer for both books. Things are a bit blurry after that, but I seem to remember a lot of shrieking and dancing, and possibly some chest pains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home