Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Pro-File: Gary Brandner

Gary Brandner, born in the Midwest and much traveled during his formative years, has 30-odd published novels, more than 100 short stories, and a handful of screenplays on his resume. After surviving the University of Washington, he did his part with the National Guard to protect the homeland from Godless Koreans. Seeking his fortune, he followed such diverse career paths as bartender, surveyor, loan company investigator, advertising copywriter, masked avenger, and technical writer before turning to fiction. Having amassed a following of several people, he has settled into a relatively respectable life with wife and cats in California's San Fernando Valley.

Pro-File Gary Brandner

1 Tell us about your current novel.
My current in-work novel is a hardboiled detective yarn set in 1940. It is a labor of love, since I know damn well it will never be published...there are maybe 12 million hardboiled dick stories out there looking for a publisher, and the only thing different about mine is that I wrote it.

2. Can you give us a sense of what you're working on now?
After 30-some years of writing without a vacation, I am taking all of them now before it's too late.

3. What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?
Getting to hang out with other writers, and meet some who were my idols.

4. The greatest DIS-pleasure?
Dealing with editors whose concern was not my story, but their bottom line. Even more, movie people who consider the writer an annoying necessity.

5. If you have one piece of advice for the publishing world, what is it?
What could I tell them? They make a lot more money than I do. Maybe reissue my books.

6. Are there two or three forgotten mystery writers you'd like to see in print again?
Frank Gruber, Richard Sale. Darn near anybody who wrote for the old pulps. I have great admiration for these guys who churned out some pretty good stuff for a penny a word, or less.

7. Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that moment.
The first one that really counted was The Howling. My agent read my outline and told me it would never sell. A month later Fawcett bought it. It was made into a pretty good horror flick, spawned a couple of sequels, gave me a recognizable credit, and provides a virtual annuity. No wonder I love wolves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Padded Cell said...

Someone should reissue a few of Brandner's books.

My suggestions are The Boiling Pool, Carrion, The Brain Eaters, and the three "Howling" books.

("Carrion" is about zombies. "The Brain Eaters" is not.)

I don't think The Boiling Pool has ever been published in paperback.

Where can I find a complete list of Brandner's books? I don't know the titles of all thirty.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home