Sunday, February 26, 2006

Pro-File: Kris Rusch -Gorman

Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists--even in London--and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Award to the John W. Campbell Award. She is the only person in the history of the science fiction field to have won a Hugo award for editing and a Hugo award for fiction. Her short work has been reprinted in six Year's Best collections.


Pro-File: Kris Rusch



1 Tell us about your current novel.

I write mysteries as Kris Nelscott. The latest is called Days of Rage. It's noir set in Chicago in 1969, right around the trial of (then) the Chicago Eight (later to become the Chicago Seven).

2. Can you give us a sense of what you're working on now?

Currently I'm working on my next sf mystery written as Rusch. It's called Paloma, and it's a murder mystery set on the moon. It'll be out in October.

3. What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?

The freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want. (And the freedom to lie for a living. )

4. Thegreatest DIS-pleasure?

The low pay, the slow pay, and fighting the same publishing battles over and over again as the editors change.

5. If you have one piece of advice for the publishing world, what is it?

Be flexible.

6. Are there two or three forgotten mystery writers you'd like to see in
print again?

(Sorry Ed, none come to mind. Now if you were talking sf....)

7. Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that
moment.

I was at my day job--I was a secretary to a forensic psychologist (great prep for the budding mystery writer)--and I got a call from my agent. I couldn't scream and carry on, especially in a psychology office, so I sat there and quietly glowed. Then my boyfriend (who became my husband) sent me a dozen roses that afternoon. My first dozen roses ever--and for such a great occasion. It was wonderful.
--------------------------------

Ed here:

I was going to write about the deaths this week of Robert Colby and Don Knotts and Darren McGavin. Then just before I sat down to post this I noticed a "sad news" headline on the science fiction line. Now I'll have to include the death of Octavia Butler, one of the shining science fiction stars of my generation.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the people who entertain and enlighten me, who help me to persevere. All of the people mentioned did just that. So long, friends, and thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger CaroleNelsonDouglas said...

You're so right that the actors who
won our admiration and stimulated our imaginations when we were young or younger are like "old friends." That's particularly true for me, because I had started acting myself in grade school and majored in speech and theater in college.
Darren McGavin was always one of my favorites, from TV's "Riverboat" with Burt Reynolds on, not only because his starring role in Kolchak: The Night Stalker also touched my love
for science fiction and horror.
He had such versatility and energy! He could play humor perfectly, also in the Jean Shepherd Christmas classic. Kolchak's skepticism and cowardice balanced his determination and passion to find out and tell the truth. He was a great and entertaining model of the
crusading reporter trapped on the sleazy side of the news.
Everything he did was outstanding. No other actor was like him.
Like you, Ed, I mourn.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home