Friday, February 17, 2006

Pro-File: John Lutz

Ed here: John Lutz

John is one of my favorie writers. He is also one of the most readable, cunning and stylish writers I've ever read. He has written and mastered nearly ever sub-genre of crime fiction, from the Alo Nudger private eye novels about a rather hapless guy who is a spirtual cousin of Buster Keaton to the bedazzling big city Lawrence Sanders-like novels he's been writing the past five years or so. His novel/movie SFW Seeks Same is exactly what I want in suspense: a familiar situation turned upside down one creeping and creepy step at a time. I have never read a bad novel or story by John. Never.


What is your current novel?

1) Current novel is FEAR THE NIGHT, a Pinnacle paperback original published in November of 2005. It is part of my “Night” series and features a legendary former NYPD homicide detective who is lured from retirement to pursue a sniper in Manhattan.

Can you give us a sense of what you're working on now?

2) I am working now on CHILL OF NIGHT, to be published in November, 2006. It is in the same vein as FEAR, and the earlier Night books. I’ve found that the sometimes maligned serial killer genre is a mine that contains a myriad of unexplored tunnels and plenty of rich literary ore. I’ve become a serial serial killer novelist.

What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?

3) Writing.

What is the greatest DIS-pleasure

4) I’m not sure. I haven’t encountered anything that isn’t at least bearable. This is not like a real job.

If you have one piece of advice for the publishing industry, what is it?

5) Don’t fight technology; embrace it.

Are there two or three writers you'd like to seein print again?

6) Eric Ambler, Geoffrey Household, and the masterful short story writer Stanley Ellin.


Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that moment.

7) I began by publishing a string of short stories, and selling my first story was not transcended by my first novel sale.
The sensation was like finally clearing a hurdle after trying over and over and over. You never really come down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home