Monday, February 20, 2006

Pro-File: Jason Starr

Pro-File: Jason Starr


Jason Starr is the author of eight crime novels which are published in ten languages. In 2004, he received the Barry Award for his novel Tough Luck, and in 2005 he won the Anthony Award for Twisted City. He has two novels due in 2006: Lights Out (St. Martin’s Press) and Bust (co-written with Ken Bruen, for Hard Case Crime). He is also co-editing a horse racing anthology called Bloodlines with Maggie Estep for Vintage Books. Born and raised in Brooklyn, Starr now lives in Manhattan.



1. Tell us about your current novel.

My new novel is LIGHTS OUT, a crime-thriller set in Brooklyn, and it's coming in March from Orion in the U.K., and in September from St. Martin's Press in the U.S. I think it's the biggest, most complex one I've done yet and I have terrific editors at both houses who are very excited about it. I also co-wrote a book with Ken Bruen called BUST for Hard Case Crime. Ken and I had a blast doing it. We think we created a whole new voice for us and we're planning to do another. BUST is due out on May.

2. Can you give a sense of what you're working on now?

A thriller set in Manhattan, and then I'll probably do a sequel to this one. My books have all been standalones so far.

3. What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?

The moments when I'm writing and get "writer's high." No drug can match it.

4. What is the greatest DISpleasure?

Angst. But that's where it all comes from, right?

5. If you have one piece of advice for the publishing world, what is it?
Publish authors, not books.

6. Are there two or three forgotten mystery writers you'd like to see in print again?

Gil Brewer and Charles Williams. Hard Case just did a Williams book and it rocked big time. More, please.

7. Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that moment.

My manuscript of COLD CALLER was rescued from several slush piles and made its way to No Exit Press in the U.K. Ion Mills, the publisher of No Exit, is a class act. I was lucky as hell to start out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home