Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Pro-File: Bill Crider

I'm always interested in the lives and working methods of other writers so toward that end I'm beginning a series called Pro-Files in which various professional writers answer the same seven questiions.

Pro-Files launches tonight with one of the most skilled and neglected writers working today. Bill Crider's books and stories have been giving me true pleasure for well over two decades now.

Bill Crider


1. Tell us about your current novel.

A Mammoth Murder will be out in April. Sheriff Dan Rhodes tangles with Bigfoot, feral hogs, a long-dead mammoth, and a very much alive murderer.

2. Can you give a sense of what you're working on now?

I'm doing a house name novel and trying to come up with plots for three short stories. After I finish all that, I have one more Sheriff Rhodes novel to write on my current contract. Since I no longer have an agent, I'm not sure what happens after that.

3. What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?

Writing a book or story that somebody reads and enjoys.

4. What is the greatest DISpleasure?

The business side, especially promotion.

5. If you have one piece of advice for the publishing world, what is it?

Forget the blockbuster mentality and promote good writing.

6. Are there two or three forgotten mystery writers you'd like to see in print again?

Hard Case Crime and Stark House are doing great work, but we could always use more Harry Whittington, Day Keene, and Gil Brewer. What about Bill Gault and Thomas B. Dewey?

7. Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that moment.

It's a long story, but of course I'll never forget when my friend Jack Davis called me to say that our Nick Carter novel, THE COYOTE CONNECTION, had been bought by Ace Books. We even had a party to celebrate when the book was published. And our names weren't even on the cover.

Thanks, Bill.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Thanks, Ed. I agree with "neglected," but I'm not so sure about "skilled." You might get some argument there.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Gormania said...

Way too modest there, my friend. Blood Marks is in my Top Ten all-time suspense novels; your private eye series managed to speak in a different voice and take us to a different world from any we'd seen before; and many of your short stories are mini-masterpieces. I'd say these facts more than justifies the use of "skilled."

6:39 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Bill, I'm curious about the "no-agent" thing -- is that temporary or a conscious choice? (For example, Donald Westlake didn't have one for years but just signed on with Larry Kirshbaum; I think Larry Block might be agented again but I can't remember and he's gone years w.o. one, too.)

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home