Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Edgar Awards; A Truly Gross Story

Here's a letter I sent to Sarah Weinman's blog this afternoon after I read several sites talking about how difficult it is to lose when you've been nominated for awards:

I've been nominated (as I recall) twice for Edgars and for several other awards such as the Anthony, Bram Stoker (horror), Shamus, Spur (western) and the International Fiction award. I list all these because I want to say that while I've never won an Edgar, I did win in all the other awards (once as part of a collaboration). I've also, having been nominated more than once, LOST in all those other award competitions. I've also served on various judging committeees and know that so many vagaries are involved in the selection process, H.P. Lovecraft's Dark Gods might as well be running things. As a judge I always felt the same way--that there were two or three pieces/books that should've been first place. And as a loser, I never felt any bitterness. Even when I'd gotten my hopes up, there was just that bee-sting moment of disappointment. Then I got on with my life. I know I'm in the minority here but all groups--writers, actors, directors, plumbers--make way too much of awards.

Ed Gorman

Over the years, I've quit three different writers' groups because they didn't seem to be about anything except awards. I enjoy wining awards, who doesn't? But I would never ask anybody to vote for me and Lord God A'Mighty did I get sick of people asking ME to vote for THEM. I quit one group because a famous--and I mean FAMOUS--writer called and said he'd appreciate my vote. This was like hearing a ward heeler putting the bite on you to vote for his guy. A famous and reasonably moneyed writer asking a nowhere idiot like me to vote for him? I was embarrassed for both of us. I immediately quit the group. (And no, I'll never divulge who that writer is.)

Let me re-iterate what I said long ago. Mystery folks are the smartest, nicest, wisest group of writers I've ever met. Other writers' group have many members about whom I could say the same thing. But as a GROUP, mystery writers are sensible, sensitive (and I don't mean touchy-feely) and bright--bright enough to know that while awards are fun to win, they're not worth worrying about. You win or you lose. Life goes on.

Thank God.

-X-TREME GROSS OUT AHEAD--YOU'VE BEEN WARNED-----------------------

I've been watching Japanese horror movies lately--the subtle ones, not the slice and dice--so I thought I'd start familiarizing myself with various directors, actors, writers. etc. I spendt an hour on various informative sites that Wikipedia linked to.

At the end of many of the profiles they listed trivia. Here's piece of trivia that would give Larry Flynt pause:

Trivia

• Shinya Tsukamoto who plays the muscle bound mastermind in Ichi the Killer (2001) supplied the semen in the opening scene, where the title is revealed. Miike gave a bucket to Tsukamoto to fill but was unable to provide enough material for the shot. He passed the bucket to three other crew members to add the remaining amount.

4 Comments:

Blogger Vince said...

Thanks for the story about ICHI THE KILLER, Ed. Who says showmanship is dead?

If you've got any favorites among Japanese horror films, please pass 'em along. I'd love to hear your take on the genre.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

How big was that bucket?

6:20 PM  
Blogger Ray said...

It was a BUCKET, Bill. But then Japan is home to Bukkake.

Um. Not that I would know what that is.

I'll get me coat.

2:41 PM  
Blogger mtmorgan said...

You should check out INFECTION if you haven't already. I caught it recently. It's pretty atmospheric and spooky. No semen that I can recall. Just some glow-in-the-dark looking, green *infection*.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home