Wednesday, January 25, 2006

This and That

There was such a response to my entry on Harry Whittington's A Night for Screaming that Greg Shepard of Stark House and I decided to try and get it back in print. We've reached an agreement in principle with the Whittington estate and hope to bring it out yet this year paired wth another Whittington novel, Any Woman He Wanted, an obscure book but a good one. I'll keep you posted.

CrimeSpot is a new and excellent website that gives you a daily sample of what's on other crime sites and blogs. Then it gives you a direct ink to the site just quoted. This is one of the best ideas I've seen since serious blogging began. http://www.crimespot.net/

Crime*File is another site you should check out frequently. Excellent pieces on all matters mysterious. I like the fact that every sub-genre of mystery fiction is covered. I know that all readers quickly get classified cozy or hard-boiled. While I'm not much for cutesy poo books of any kind, there are many cozies and traditionals that not only have something to say but that are also very well written. Likewise, traditional cozy readers are missing some excellent novels if they pass by the darker side of the mystery genre. Right now on the site, there's the long (and some would argue deservedly) forgotten Edward S. Aarons and his Sam Durrell series. I read them in the Fifties but gave them up when Matt Helm came along. The Aarons books that I really enjoyed were all the one-shots he did in the late Forties and early Fifties. His novels set along the Atlantic coast were espcially strong on local color and atmosphere. The esteemed Alan Hubin and Jeff Falco do a wind-up piece on Aarons that is interesting and informative. Here's Crime*File http://www.mysteryfile.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Great news about A Night for Screaming and The Woman is Mine. I hope this works out.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Terrific news, Ed. And thanks for the type, I knew about Mystery File but not CrimeSpot.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Stephen D. Rogers said...

Thanks for the Crime File link.

Funny. I switched from Aarons to Helm as well. Actually Helm and Shell Scott (I discovered both at the same time).

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home