Sunday, October 30, 2005

Yet another blog -- health update

In a message dated 10/29/05 10:02:19 AM, Ejgorman99 writes:


Well, as many of you know, the last  few health reports I got were pretty grim so off we went to Mayo expecting the worst. After almost four days of constant tests--a physical like I've none I've ever had a before, not even at Mayo--the upshot is that while I definitely have full-blown multiple myeloma, it has stablized  and that no radical measures are needed to treat it --i.e., no stem cell transplant or experimental drugs. Next May (to illustrate that there's no panic) we'll harvest my stem cells up there (an easy two week task in a home run by nuns--it'll be like being back in Catholic school!) and then should the myeloma ever take a serious turn, I can transplant the stem cells Mayo will have frozen from the harvest. The consensus is that the severe pain in my arm is a reaction to my recent radiation and will go away reasonably soon. And that I won't be as tired if I lose significant wait, cut my dawn to midnight caffeine consumption in half and change my exercise regimen (turning book pages and sneezing) to something more formidable.

Thank you for all your prayers, good thoughts and e-mails.

Oh yes, and the Academy award goes to pretty little Carol Gorman for endurance above and beyond. Any of you who know me well know that I hate traveling, strangers, restaurants, crowds, elevators, enforced sociability, hotels and motels and not sleeping in our own bed. Other than that I'm a lot of fun to go somewhere with.

Love,

Ed 

9 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

Godd to see you back in the saddle, Ed!

2:53 PM  
Blogger karyn said...

Really great news about your health!
I enjoyed your other blog. I hope you keep it up.

Best,
Karyn

4:52 PM  
Blogger Andi said...

Hey Ed, it s SO nice to see this. Hope the arm pain calms down QUICKLY now - that can be so nasty and distracting. It's good to see you back here and it's so good to read this news.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Lynn Viehl said...

You made my whole Halloween here -- welcome back, Ed.

Lynn Viehl

4:16 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Ed, I'm thrilled to hear the diagnosis is better than expected. You're a great man and a great writer, and we're all better off having you around.

Here's to many more years with Gorman!

Brian Knight

7:17 PM  
Blogger Duane Swierczynski said...

Thank God you're back, Ed. The blogosphere just wasn't the same without you. So you'll spend two weeks next May in a home run by nuns? Oh, I can't wait to read the blog then...

8:08 PM  
Blogger Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Best news I've read in years, Ed. Not just for the selfish reason that I love your blog, but because I think the world's a better place with you in it (pardon the fawning, but once in a while it seems correct).

4:42 AM  
Blogger Mistrmind said...

A 2nd chance at life and things in general. Great news and keep blogging.

God bless

8:51 AM  
Blogger Vince said...

I'm a little late to the party, Ed, but here goes. It's great to have you back and with good news to report. You've been missed.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home